An informal food blog...

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Chorba Soup

Chorba Soup from North East Algeria

Ingredients:
2lbs boned and diced lamb
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tin chick peas
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp chopped coriander
1 tbsp chopped celery leaves
Salt and Pepper
1 tsp dried mint
½ cup of bulgur or cracked wheat

Method:
Lightly brown the onion and lamb in olive oil
Add all the other ingredients except the mint and wheat
Cover with water and cook until the lamb is tender (1 hour)
Add the wheat and mint. Cook for a further 15min
Garnish with a little chopped coriander
Serve with a wedge of lemon

6 Comments:

Blogger Cherrypie said...

Manna from heaven to a hungry girl who has just got home from a solid 15 hour stint. I'm inspired to cook it right now, particularly by your gorgeous vivid colours and simple instructions.But I know my limitations. So I'll save it for the weekend.

What's your favourite jambon Serrano recipe? I like mine wrapped around Lincolnshire asparagus but it's a bit early yet so I'd love some ideas.

1:27 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

This has very similiar ingredients to the foods I eat at my mother-in-laws. She is Lebanese and my father-in-law is Armenian.

10:44 AM  
Blogger hobbes said...

Oh yumm - I'm going to try this one!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Cherry, yes that's a good way to serve asparagus!
Mine is chicken breast wrapped with Jamon Serrano in a sage and Jerez sauce.

Mary, most of the Southern Mediterranean countries use similar ingredients. What a fantastic combination your family must be!

Hobbes, it's so simple that you can prepare loads and freeze it!
Don't forget a little lemon juice before tucking in!

DO NOT FORGET TO SEND ME RECIPES!

3:00 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I said I wouldn't come back and here I am, drooling. Can I do this without the lamb, you think? I don't eat meat.

This sort of reminds me of something my brother-in-law's family makes...they're from Africa but they still cook very Indian meals.

They do a mixed thing with chickpeas [channa], chopped tomatoes, chopped, cooked spuds, chopped cucumber, cilantro, lime juice, salt, black pepper...I don't know if I left out anything...

3:16 AM  
Blogger Cream said...

Yes, you can skip the meat. If you eat fish then leave it till the end and poach it in the soup.
Now, guess who's drooling! Sounds amazing!

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home